This easy Italian Sausage and Rice Skillet is sure to be your new go-to weeknight meal. Italian sausage links with fresh or frozen produce and a few pantry essentials make this one-pot meal a family favorite.
Getting Kids to Eat New Foods
As a mom of six I’m all about meals that can stretch a dollar, feed many mouthes, and be ready in 30 minutes or less. One trick I’ve learned in making meals for my kids is to include at least one primary ingredient that they know, like, and trust. For this meal, that’s the rice.
Italian Sausage and Rice Skillet
Rice is a pantry essential for any household. If you’re looking for a good filler for tummies and a way to stretch the rest of your meal, serve it over rice, with rice as a side, or cooked in rice. This recipe, along with many others you find on the internet, can use any kind of rice. Simply adjust the cooking time based on your rice’s instructions.
We used to be big instant rice fans. However, we’ve really switched over to Jasmine white rice for the sweet aroma, subtle taste, and ability to add it into nearly any dish. Now we can cook it right in our soups, skillets, etc. with stock or wine instead of boring water.
Exact measurements can be found in the printable recipe card below.
How to make this Sausage and Rice Skillet with step by step images
How to store leftover Sausage and Rice
If, and that’s a big if, there are any leftovers of this delicious dish simply store in a Tupperware container in the fridge for up to a week. This also makes for the perfect make-ahead meal. Cook the meal as directed and place into a freezer-safe casserole dish (the aluminum ones from the grocery store are fine), allow to cool completely, cover airtight with the provided cover or tin foil and freeze for up to 1 month.
One Skillet Sausage and Rice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 8 inch Italian sausages
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 large green pepper diced
- 8 ounce baby portobello mushrooms pre-sliced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 large sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bayleaf
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomato
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- shaved Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
- Heat three tablespoons oil over medium heat in a large 12″ skillet. Add sausage and sear both sides. About a minute or two on each side. Remove from skillet.
- Add peppers, onions, and mushrooms to hot skillet for 5 minutes. Add spices and stir.
- Add garlic and rice to the skillet. Stir until rice is coated and has absorbed the oil.
- Add chicken stock and sausage to skillet and stir. Place bay leaf and time ontop Cover with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil then reduce to a summer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Remove lid. Stir in diced tomatoes and enough sauce to your desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Serve with parsley and or parm cheese.