DIY All-Purpose Cleaner is easy, cheaper than buying store brands, is safer around pets and babies, and is eco-friendly. This cleaner is safe on every surface in your home and is naturally antibacterial. You can make all-purpose cleaner for pennies on the dollar using common household products.
Why DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
When you’re a large family or a family to small kids, going through cleaner and paper towels is almost as endless as that load of laundry you’ve washed for the 3rd time today. It can get expensive quickly and when you think about the chemicals in the cleaner and how often you’re spraying them, you may find the need for a change.
Ingredients for DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
Before we dive into the step-by-step process, let’s take a closer look at the ingredients you’ll need to create your own all-purpose cleaner:
- White Vinegar: White vinegar is a natural disinfectant and degreaser. Its acidic nature makes it effective at breaking down grease, grime, and mineral deposits on various surfaces.
- Dish Soap or Castile Soap: Dish soap, particularly natural or eco-friendly brands, can help cut through grease and lift dirt. Castile soap, a gentle and plant-based soap, is another excellent option that adds cleaning power without harsh chemicals.
- Water: Water is the universal solvent that dilutes the cleaning agents and ensures the solution is safe to use on surfaces without leaving any harmful residues.
- Essential Oils: Essential oils not only add a pleasant scent to your cleaner but also offers additional cleaning benefits. Some popular choices include lavender, tea tree, lemon, peppermint, and eucalyptus oils which all have natural antibacterial or germ-fighting qualities.
DIY All-Purpose Cleaner Recipe
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dish soap or 1/4 cup castile soap
- 2 cups water
- 10-20 drops of essential oils (optional)
OR the way I do it regularly, is filling my favorite bottle halfway with vinegar, adding the soap, filling the rest with water, and adding a few drops of lemongrass oil. Twist the top on and give a gentle shake.
- Select Your Container: Find a clean and empty spray bottle to store your DIY all-purpose cleaner. Recycling an old spray bottle is an eco-friendly choice. I found that buying cleaners helped me find the perfect bottle. Then I reused that bottle over and over.
- Measure the Ingredients: Pour 1 cup of white vinegar into the spray bottle. Vinegar’s acidic nature helps break down dirt and disinfect surfaces.
- Add the Soap: Depending on your preference, add either 1 tablespoon of dish soap or 1/4 cup of castile soap to the bottle. Dish soap helps cut through grease, while castile soap is a gentler alternative.
- Pour in Water: Add 2 cups of water to the mix. This dilutes the cleaning agents, making the solution safe for various surfaces.
- Essential Oils for Fragrance (Optional): To enhance the scent and cleaning properties of your all-purpose cleaner, add 10 drops of your favorite essential oils. Some popular choices include lavender for a calming scent, tea tree for its antibacterial properties, lemon for freshness, and eucalyptus for its invigorating aroma.
- Shake Well: Seal the bottle and give it a good shake to mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Make sure the soap is well-dissolved in the solution.
- Label the Bottle: It’s essential to label your DIY all-purpose cleaner bottle to avoid confusion with other household products. Include the ingredients and usage instructions.
Benefits of DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
- Environmentally Friendly: Unlike commercial cleaners that often contain harsh chemicals harmful to the environment, DIY all-purpose cleaners are eco-friendly. They use natural ingredients that are biodegradable and safe for aquatic life, or your ground water, when they eventually enter the water supply.
- Healthier Home: Commercial cleaners may emit harmful fumes and irritate respiratory systems. DIY cleaners, on the other hand, are generally safer for your health, especially if you choose eco-friendly soap options. You can clean with peace of mind, knowing you’re not exposing your family to toxic chemicals.
- Cost-Effective: Making your own all-purpose cleaner is cost-effective. You’ll save money compared to buying multiple commercial cleaning products, as one DIY cleaner can tackle a wide range of cleaning tasks.
- Versatility: DIY all-purpose cleaners are incredibly versatile. They can be used on various surfaces, including countertops, sinks, glass, mirrors, appliances, and even floors. This versatility simplifies your cleaning routine and reduces the need for multiple specialized cleaners.
- Customizable Scents: Essential oils not only add pleasant scents but also provide various aromatherapy benefits. You can customize your cleaner’s scent to match your preferences or the mood you want to create in your home.
- Reduced Plastic Waste: By reusing a spray bottle instead of buying a new one each time, you reduce plastic waste. This small change can contribute to a more sustainable lifestyle.
- Empowerment: Creating your DIY all-purpose cleaner empowers you to take control of the products you use in your home. You’ll have a deeper understanding of the ingredients, making it easier to make conscious choices for a healthier, more sustainable living environment.
Tips for Using DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
To make the most of your DIY all-purpose cleaner, here are some handy tips:
- Patch Test: Before using your homemade cleaner on a new surface, perform a patch test in an inconspicuous area to ensure it doesn’t damage or discolor the material.
- Label Bottles Clearly: Properly label your spray bottle to avoid any mix-ups with other cleaning products. Include the ingredients and usage instructions.
- Store Properly: Keep your DIY all-purpose cleaner in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight, which can cause essential oils to degrade. Proper storage will extend its shelf life.
- Refresh as Needed: Over time, the scent of your cleaner may fade. You can easily refresh it by adding a few more drops of essential oil to the bottle.
The DIY all-purpose cleaner made with white vinegar, dish soap or castile soap, water, and essential oils is a simple and effective solution for eco-conscious individuals looking to create a cleaner, healthier, and more sustainable home. Not only is it easy to make, but it also offers numerous benefits, including environmental friendliness, cost-effectiveness, versatility, and the opportunity to customize scents to your liking. By incorporating this DIY cleaner into your cleaning routine, you not only reduce your environmental footprint but also create a safer, healthier living space for you and your loved ones. So, why wait? Grab your ingredients, mix up a batch, and start enjoying the benefits of DIY all-purpose cleaner today